10 best reasons to do a boudoir photoshoot ~by Best Boudoir LA in Los Angeles
Have you wondered why you hear about boudoir photography a lot lately? And what does it really mean?
Boudoir is the french word for a private sitting room or bedroom of a lady. It is a specific genre in photography, typically shot in a private setting of a bedroom, sometimes in a decadent hotel room. Boudoir photography shows ladies in lingerie, implied nudity and in seductive and sexy poses. A skilled photographer will adjust most flattering poses to fit different body types.
Who in the world are these women and why would they show themselves in barely clothed? …
This type of photography is literally suited for every woman, any shape, age or size! Most of my clients are women like you and I and not experienced in modeling in any way. I always ask women coming to my studio what their motivations or reasons are for their boudoir photoshoot and ta ta ta…here are the top 10 reasons from my personal experience.
- Gift for their groom: One of my last clients planned a couple of months ahead of her wedding day to present her husband to be with an album of her with her veil…only her veil..oh and a garterbelt! She left it beautifully wrapped in the room where the groom was getting ready on their wedding day. Can you imagine how excited he was to run to the altar?!
- Personal Challenge: Usually my bookings are planned at least 3-4 weeks ahead of time. When I received a phone call one morning to accomodate the same day for two ladies I was almost going to turn them down. It was my day off and my makeup girl was out of town. However my heart opened up when the lady on the other end explained that she and her friend were attending a personal growth seminar and had to face one of their biggest fears, to show their bodies in front of a camera, the same day! Needless to say somehow we made this appointment work! The two ladies were absolutely beautiful inside and out and they were thrilled at the end of the day, we provided proof that they finished their boudoir session.
3. Celebrating a birthday: Of course any birthday is a great reason to create photo memories, but my favorite ones are the milestones. 30, 40, 50 and 60! I am turning 50 next year and I have already planned to have amazing pictures done by one of my awesome collegues. I happen to love pictures, because I am a super visual person and associate pictures with how I was feeling at the time. Do you remember what you felt like at 20? And what did you look like? Were you happy?
4. A breakup: I’ve had several clients who came to me right after a breakup. That may sound strange, but makes total sense to me. Women go through a lot of emotions during a breakup and long for a change in their personal affairs, for a confidence boost or some reassurance that they are still desirable and beautiful. To let a professional makeup artist and photographer do their magic shows their readiness to open a new chapter!
5. For an anniversary: Half of the women coming to me for a boudoir photoshoot are married and have an anniversary coming up to surprise their husbands. It is even more fun when ladies tell me they never wear makeup or lingerie and that it would be completely out of character. Their significant other wouldn’t expect a sexy photo album of the woman they thought they knew. It makes a wonderful surprise and unexpected gift!
6. Weightloss: A couple of my clients came back for a second or third shoot after they lost a significant amount of weight and wanted to celebrate their new look with brand new boudoir photos. Though they loved their pictures before, they wanted to see what they actually looked like 20 lbs lighter. Also they get to go shopping for clothing they weren’t able to fit before.
7. Pregnancy: Maternity boudoir is a special celebration for the baby to come. It is absolutely lovely to see how beautiful a pregnant woman glows. Yes a photoshoot can be tiring and it’s hard to move around, legs maybe swollen or skin too tight, but believe me that all is forgotten when the pictures are ready. The baby belly is an amazing memory which most often is forgotten about. I wish I had thought about doing a photoshoot with my belly, I missed out!
8. Spice things up: There is nothing more sexy than to play a little dress up, to get a bit adventurous and naughty! Some of the ladies I shoot with tell me that they are bored with their 8-5 trott at work and want to add a bit of excitement to their life. Whether they are with a significant other or not is irrelevant.
9. Show off a tattoo or piercing: Tattoos and piercings are the rage right now and half of the women I shoot have at least one or two tattoos or piercings they would like to feature in their boudoir photos. Often their ink is in private places that won’t ever show, unless they wear very little. A boudoir shoot is the perfect occassion to show them off.
10. Empower oneself: I am sure you have heard it before, a boudoir photoshoot is very empowering to a women. This is the number one comment after a boudoir shoot I get “I feel so empowered!” Why is that? The ladies are allowed to get in touch with their sensuality in a safe environment. Nobody is here to judge, on the contrary, the photographer encourages and draws out the most beautiful assets of their clients and help them to express their individual sexuality.
Actualy I could list a bunch more reasons why a boudoir photoshoot is so awesome. Have you ever done one? What was your personal experience? Are you hesitant to book a boudoir session and why? I would love to hear from you!
Best Boudoir LA
Please follow and like us: